Honestly, I am not even sure how to touch this topic. These words should never be seen in the same sentence and I honestly can't bare the reality. The innocence and the just the pure beauty and life that children bring is a reason in itself to not want to touch this subject. The harsh reality is that no one is safe from the hand that takes us. Children, are no exception to this rule. Yet, the "rule" and use this term loosely, regarding hospice is that you let the natural progression of the disease take its course while just taking care of the pain and the symptoms and not using curative treatments. This is where I believe it would be difficult for a parent. I was once told by a patient that "In life, all we have is hope". For a parent, this could not be more true. I am not a parent but I think if a doctor were to tell me to consider end of life options, I would be insulted, and lastly, there is not a bone in my body that would allow it because I am giving up. Am I really giving up? What if you can win with the disease and the natural progression of the disease is progressing rapidly and the child is hurting. No matter what you do, the end result is the same? Would you subject the child to surgeries, poking, prodding, anything? Wouldn't you want to spend the last few days, weeks, months, with that child and see him or her smile. A real smile, without pain or suffering. While you are hurting you have the hands of others guiding you along a horrible, difficult road, but at least you know you are not alone. In the wonderful world of hospice, the nurses and C.N.A's are angels that have been sent here to make this horrible journey of life and death a smooth one. We often think we are doing the right thing when we "choose" to not give up, yet we are forgetting that there is a real fighter that may not be able to express the pain and want to live out the last moments pain free, while letting life takes its course.
This is not only for children, but for the elderly as well. We often look at our needs and feelings and project them on others. The gift of hospice has been known to add time to a persons life. While it is easy for me to sit here and put my feelings on paper, it would be tough if i actually had a child. In this harsh and unforgiving world, we can find beauty and peace in Hospice.
No comments:
Post a Comment